Monday, August 8, 2011

Review: The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Before you ask...no.  I don't know.  I don't know why I keep coming back to Philippa Gregory, after I admitted my problems with her after reading The Other Boleyn Girl, and then was completely disgusted by The Boleyn Inheritance.  I have no excuse for my hypocrisy, either.  Blame it on a ridiculous devotion to historical fiction?  A passionate interest in the Wars of the Roses?  In any case, it's sufficient to say that I have absolutely no excuse for myself, and I bring you book 66 for the year: The White Queen, by Philippa Gregory.

Elizabeth Woodville is a beautiful widow with little more on her mind than securing her dead husband's inheritance for her two sons.  But she catches the eye and the affections of Edward IV, the king of England and head of the house of York, who marries her hastily and makes her his queen.  Quick to take advantage of her new power and prestige, Elizabeth puts her family members in high places and snubs the House of Lancaster, Edward IV's rivals for the crown.  But when her husband dies suddenly, and with the Wars of the Roses still swirling about her, Elizabeth realizes that the bill for her actions as queen has come with a vengeance.  The price is too high, and it may just cost her her crown, her throne, and her two priceless sons.

I never thought I would say this, but here, finally, is a novel that made me actually respect Philippa Gregory.  MARK IT DOWN, because I haven't read the sequel, The Red Queen, yet, and my opinion may change!  But here and now, with this book, I feel that Gregory has finally broken free of the historical bodice-ripper genre, and into some hardcore historical fiction.  This is the first time that I finished a Gregory book wanting to read more.

Another reviewer on Goodreads scoffed, "Here is a thought that has probably never occurred to anyone while reading a Philippa Gregory novel: You know what this book needs? More politics!"  I respectfully 100% disagree!  Having read TOBG and The Boleyn Inheritance, I picked up this book with some eye-rolling, and sighing, expecting another fluffy Harlequin novel with some historical facts thrown in.  But no.  This is an embroidered tale of the Wars of the Roses, the only time in English history when two rival houses, York (white) and Lancaster (red) fought brutally for the crown.  The battle scenes are real.  This is true history, and Gregory obviously has done her homework.

The character of Elizabeth Woodville (or Wydville, depending on your history texts) is captivating.  I still can't decide if I like or dislike her, but I'm leaning toward the latter.  She holds the place in history as the first commoner ever to be elevated to the crown as Queen, and the concept of a youthful king marrying a common subject for love is romantic to the core.  History tells that Elizabeth was the daughter of a woman convicted of witchcraft, and many of her contemporaries believed that Elizabeth seduced Edward IV by mystical means.  Gregory, true to form, elaborates on these rumors, not always in the most believable manners, but certainly making a compelling story.

Gregory's nemesis, once again, is her repetition.  Elizabeth's mother, and Elizabeth herself, believe that they are descended from the French mermaid goddess, Melusina, from whom they believe they draw their powers.  An interesting note, if it was not drummed into your head every other page.  We get it, Philippa: enough already.  There is some historical inaccuracy (which I've come to expect) -- one reviewer pointed out that Gregory has Elizabeth Woodville living in Nonsuch Palace, which was built years after her death by King Henry VIII.  And several of the male characters (Edward IV, Richard III) who should have been at the forefront of the story, are relegated to mere bit parts, and bland ones at that.  Though it was a nice change to not have the men gagging all over their women and making insipid declarations of love, I will admit.

Still, I have to admit that I was impressed, and this is the first time I have really been impressed with a book by Philippa Gregory.  TOBG was good, but clearly a work of fiction from the midpoint on (Mary Boleyn was never allowed back to court after her banishment) and The Boleyn Inheritance was boring, trite, and ridiculously fabricated in places.  But I liked this book, I really did.  Congratulations, Philippa, you have raised my expectations.  Here's hoping that The Red Queen doesn't bring them back down again.

Rating: *** and 1/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment