Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I am "older" than I thought I was yesterday

Back when David was still taking his EMT course, before he graduated, I told him that, as a treat for graduating and being hired as an EMT, he could upgrade to a smart phone.  (This was sort of a treat for me as well, since we would stop using my parents' family plan and I would upgrade myself -- in my defense I got a smaller, less expensive smart phone with fewer bells and whistles, but more about that later)  We waited until after Christmas and bided our time until we had enough in the budget to spend, and then went to Verizon.  Eight days, one order form, and one crazy trip to a FedEx facility (because I had to sign for the package, and I wasn't home when they came to get it), David now owns a Droid Bionic, and I own a Samsung Stratosphere.
This phone is not mine.

(I got this phone solely for the sliding typepad -- I am going over to the digital keypad kicking and screaming.)

I've had this phone for about 12 hours, and in that time I have realized that I am old.  The concept of a "smart phone" is awesome -- I love the idea that I can check email and Facebook, have a GPS (finally), read Kindle books -- everything! -- on my phone.  But I am having a bitch of a time figuring it all out!  I set the alarm on my phone last night for 6:45 AM, and set the phone to vibrate.  At 6:45 this morning, David and I were awoken to an ear-pitching screech from the phone, and I could NOT figure out how to turn it off.  I think I've figured it out now.  I hope so at least.

ANYWAY, one of the reasons why I'm bringing up the phone is the reason why I don't have a picture for you of what I'm reading and knitting for today's Yarn Along!  I unfortunately don't have an SD card yet (I'm going to pick one up today after work) and I can't take photos with this phone.  SO.  You'll have to imagine that this Jaywalker sock:





...has a completed cuff, leg, and part of the heel flap done.  I really disliked the Noro Kureyon Sock at first -- the colors are beautiful, but the yarn felt rough between my fingers -- but now that I'm knitting back and forth on just the heel flap, I feel like I'm getting more used to it.  I have a feeling that the yarn is going to "bloom" and become beautiful when these are washed and blocked for the first time, at least I have hopes.  I also love that I'm finally knitting with the blue section (seen above) -- it's the major reason why I bought this colorway in the first place.

As for the book, I'm still plugging away on Tatiana and Alexander, by Paullina Simons.  I'm more than halfway through it, and I have to admit that as much as I liked The Bronze Horseman (click for my review), I am LOVING Tatiana and Alexander that much more.  There is much more backstory -- I felt that TBH left in a lot of loopholes about Alexander's background and how he came to be where he was in the Soviet Union, and this book definitely fills in those gaps.  I'm loving it.

Four more days until we leave for the cruise!  I still need to buy all of my school books, obtain a new university ID card (with my new last name on it), find my camera charger, buy an SD card, do two loads of laundry, clean the apartment, get my guinea pig to my parents' house, and pack all of our things.  David is working 5 AM - 1 PM tomorrow, so most of the errands will be done then, but all of the laundry and packing will be done on Friday - Saturday, when he's working two double-shifts both days.  Argh.  So much left to do!

But after walking to work this morning in 11 degree weather, I'm looking more forward to sunny Florida and Mexico than I ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment