Monday, April 18, 2011

AW: My "new" bookshelf, loaded, and GW scores!

After David came home last night, he was so kind as to drag out my three huge boxes of books, so I could put them on the "new" bookshelf.  It took a little finagling to get it organized the way I wanted it, but here is the final product!


Top Shelf: Fiction, historical fiction, and memoirs
Second Shelf: Non-fiction histories (including my Alison Weirs -- all nine of them and counting!), and in the corner, Dan Brown illustrated editions beneath my pile of theology books.
Bottom Shelf: Writing manuals (mainly from college), Harry Potter, and my knitting books.

Survey says?  I need another bookshelf if I'm going to keep buying books.  On the top left-hand corner of the bookshelf, you can see my Kindle, wrapped in its little blue quilted travel case that my mother made me a few weeks ago.  David says I can just buy books for my Kindle, instead of paperbacks, which is true, but most of the paperbacks I buy are on ridiculous sale!  I don't want to give them up.

Speaking of which, I ventured out to GW again and scored some good ones yesterday.

Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden.  I bought this one for a two-fold purpose -- I loved it and I haven't been able to find my copy in about two years, and I want to use it for the Spring Book Challenge (SBC).  I figure it can count towards "read a book you loved as a child or teen", since I became obsessed with this book back in 2000 when my friend Kim loaned it to me.  The "true" story about little Chiyo, the child who was sold by her family to an okiya (geisha house) in Gion, Japan, and the path her life takes as she trains to become a geisha herself, is a really beautiful piece, although it garnered some negative criticism after Mineko Iwasaki, the geisha whom Golden interviewed and whose life he based Memoirs off of, claimed that he embellished her stories.  Still, it is one of my favorites.

Me: Stories of My Life by Katharine Hepburn.  Most of us are familiar with  actress Katharine Hepburn, who was really the grande dame  of Old Hollywood and one of the most famous actresses of all time.  She starred in such hits as The Philadelphia Story, The African Queen, The Lion in Winter, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?, and On Golden Pond.  She is the only woman in history to have won not one, but four Best Actress Oscars, and she lived only twenty minutes away from me in Connecticut.  She passed away a legend in 2003 at the age of 96.  Famously mum about her life, Hepburn published Me, her memoirs, in 1991, when she was 84 years old.  I have always wanted to read this book, and now I have a copy of my own.  Still not sure where I'm going to fit it in on the SBC, but I'll figure something out.

The Romance of Tristan and Iseult, as retold by Joseph Bedier.  This was $.50 at GW, and I'm a sucker for a good historical romance, so I nabbed it.  The movie Tristan and Isolde came out in 2006, based on the legend of the knight Tristan and the beautiful love of his life, Iseult (I don't know why they changed the spelling of her name for the film, but there you go).  That was the first time I heard of it, and I've wanted to see the film and read the book ever since.  I saw it and snatched it up.  It's a short piece (only 224 pages, paperback), so I think this "original Romeo and Juliet" tale will probably be a quick, light read over this Easter weekend.


How was your weekend?  Did you get any reading done or pick up any new books?

1 comment:

  1. I started reading Memoirs of a Geisha several years ago and couldn't get into it. I want to read it for the SBC, so I'm hoping this go round will be a lot more interesting.

    ReplyDelete