Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday post and GW scores!

I can't remember the last time I have blogged this consistently!  But it's been a good, albeit busy, week.  David and I are FINALLY moving the large furniture into our new place tomorrow, with the help of some amazing friends of ours who are willing to move us for the nominal fee of beer and pizza.  We've been moving things little by little the past week, and although we have MOST of the small stuff in our new place now, we have almost no furniture still.  Not after tomorrow!

Last night, my task was to bag up and get ready some things to donate to Goodwill.  I managed two bags and a box (and I have some more stuff to go today that I discovered later on), and so I packaged these up and took them over to GW...and treated myself to a trip around their book section again.  Why is it that whenever I donate to GW, I come out with more stuff?  But in my defense, I got an AMAZING deal!

(Forgive me once again for the terrible picture quality)
For all four of these, I paid...$3.67.  YES.  So can you blame me for buying them??  I think not.

The Reader, by Bernhard Schlink.  "As a 15-year-old boy in postwar Germany, Michael Berg had a passionate affair with a mysterious, guarded woman twice his age that ended suddenly when she disappeared. Years later, Michael sees her again -- when she is on trial for a terrible crime." (Goodreads)  I've wanted to read this since Kate Winslet won her Oscar for playing the female lead in the film based on it. 

The Devil Wears Prada, by Laura Weisberger.  I read this book summer before my senior year of college when I was drowning my heartbreak over being dumped in as many books as I could get my hands on.  It's not a great book, but it's fun, and I love it.  My sister stole my copy and I haven't seen in since 2008, so now I have another copy of my own.  For $.50.

Vanishing Acts, by Jodi Picoult.  "Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father, Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiance, and her own search-and-rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as Delia plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can't recall. And then a policeman knocks on her door, revealing a secret that changes the world as she knows it. In shock and confusion, Delia must sift through the truth - even when it jeopardizes her life and the lives of those she loves." (Goodreads)  I read Picoult's My Sister's Keeper (during that same ironic summer) and I loved it, but I've never read another book by her.  So I really couldn't pass this one up for a price as low as it was.

A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey.  Most of us are familiar with the controversy this book caused between James Frey and Oprah Winfrey, when news broke to the literary world that there was no proof behind some of the claims that Frey made in his so-called "memoir" about his stint in drug and alcohol rehab.  I know about it, but regardless, I want to read this book.  I started reading it after spending the night at a friend's house a few years ago (I had to put it down when she woke up) and I've wanted to finish it ever since.  So I nabbed it.

I doubt I'll get much reading done this weekend, but I'm hoping to finish the book I'm currently reading, and to unpack the rest of my collection!  I realized, after I went to GW and I was back at my old place packing up my books, that I don't have enough boxes.  I'd say I have too many books...but that's just ridiculous.  There's no such thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment