Monday, April 4, 2011

Goodwill scores!

I took a trip to Goodwill this past week, to see if I could score any cheap furniture (I did not).  But the trip wasn't a total loss!  I managed to score a couple of great books from their bookshelves.  Apparently, a lot of people donate classics to Goodwill, when they're finished reading them (for school or otherwise), and I made out like a bandit.  Three books (one a hardcover) for $3.50!

The first was The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, which I already re-read and reviewed on Saturday.  The other two, I am in the process of reading for the first time.

Testimony, by Anita Shreve.  At a New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora's box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voices--those of the men, women, teenagers, and parents involved in the scandal--that details the ways in which lives can be derailed or destroyed in one foolish moment.  (Description from Goodreads)

I started reading this on Saturday morning.  It's good so far, although it unfortunately breaks my rule about "no more than one person's POV", which has gotten a bit confusing at times.  But so far, I like it.

Angela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt.  ...the luminous memoir of Frank McCourt, born in Depression-era Brooklyn to recent Irish immigrants and raised in the slums of Limerick, Ireland. Frank's mother, Angela, has no money to feed the children since Frank's father, Malachy, rarely works, and when he does he drinks his wages. Yet Malachy does nurture in Frank an appetite for the one thing he can provide: a story.  Perhaps it is a story that accounts for Frank's survival. Wearing rags for diapers, begging a pig's head for Christmas dinner, and searching the pubs for his father, Frank endures poverty, near-starvation and the casual cruelty of relatives and neighbors yet lives to tell his tale with eloquence, exuberance and remarkable forgiveness.  (Description from Goodreads)

WOW.  People weren't lying when they said that Angela's Ashes was depressing.  I have to say, from the start, I got into this book quicker than Testimony, but it is hard to take at times.  Depressing, rough, and without hope...but incredibly raw and real.  If it keeps up at this rate, this could be one of my new favorites.

Did you score any good new books this weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment