Saturday, July 30, 2011

In My Mailbox -- July 31, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme held over at The Story Siren.  I generally do my IMM posts (not that I've done too many, but still) on Sundays, but my dad, David and I are going to Cooperstown, NY tomorrow to the National Baseball Hall of Fame (Red Sox fans for life), so I figured I'd do my post two hours early.  I got a pretty big haul today (went to the bookstore with my neighbor, who is working in NYC during the week and needed more books).  I made out pretty well!

Delirium by Lauren Oliver.  Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.  But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

This was highly recommended to me by a friend on one of the message boards I'm on.  I'm looking forward to it!

Russian Winter, by Daphne Kalotay.  When she decides to auction her remarkable jewelry collection, Nina Revskaya, once a great star of the Bolshoi Ballet, believes she has finally drawn a curtain on her past. Instead, the former ballerina finds herself overwhelmed by memories of her homeland and of the events, both glorious and heartbreaking, that changed the course of her life half a century ago. 

Another book that came recommended by one of the bloggers I follow.

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, both by J.K. Rowling.  I KNOW.  I don't own either of these.  I own books 3 - 7, but the first two I didn't have.  Not anymore!  Both were on sale, so I grabbed them.  Plus I'm trying to convince David that he wants to give Harry Potter a try.  I haven't convinced him yet, unfortunately :( 

But my favorite find came right at the end of our searching through the shelves.  It was the LAST one there, and certainly not something I had intended on picking up.  But at $8.99, I snatched it.  I've always wanted a copy of my own, and now I have it.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman.  OMG, such a good book.  Everyone's seen the movie (well, everyone who was a kid in the 1980s at least), but I assure you: this is better than the movie.  You're probably thinking that isn't possible.  But it is.  Such a good book.  And in a surprising twist, this might be the book that David actually gives a decent shot to.  I told him how fantastic it is, and he LOVES the movie, soooo...

Just see.  I'll convince him that reading is fun yet.  :)

Have a good weekend!  Next post: hopefully pictures from Cooperstown.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Having read Before I Fall by Oliver, I was disappointed with Delirium. The concept is really interesting, but ended up falling into cliche for me. But I DEFINITELY recommend Before I Fall whether or not you end up enjoying Delirium. Another unique concept novel that actually follows through.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete