Sunday, July 24, 2011

Spin Jam -- July 23, 2011

"Spin Jams" are the colloquial in our group of friends for evenings when a bunch of us get together and fire spin, usually in someone's backyard.  Last night, our friend Matt was kind enough to throw a spin jam, and everyone braved the obscene heat and came out to spin.


This is Nick, juggling fire torches (small batons with lit wicks on one end).  Nick can do all manner of fire-related entertainment...this is one of his specialties.


Joe, doing both fire poi and fire breathing.  In fire breathing, the individual takes a mouthful of paraffin or lamp oil (which I am assured is tasteless, although I refuse to try it and find out) and blows it into the fire, creating the burst of flame you see here. 
Lyndsey, executing fire staff.  Notice the incredibly clean circles, which come with experience.  I assure you that mine look nothing that neat!


David doing fire staff, mid-toss.  He went twice, once doing staff simultaneously with Joe, and then once by himself.


Jim, breathing fire.


Jim (left) and Matt (right) experimenting with LED poi, which are generally used in practice and for people like yours truly who aren't ready to use flame poi yet. 


Matt spinning fire poi.


Me spinning fans!  I had an awesome night last night spinning with my new fans.  I'm definitely getting used to the weight of each of them.  And and and...most exciting...I managed a toss and catch!  I tried three tosses during my spinning, with the fans lit.  I missed two, but I caught the third!  It was really exciting and made me feel really great.  I definitely want to get in more practice and get more comfortable with tossing the fans while lit.

All in all, a great spin jam.  Although spinning in 95 degree weather is rough (we were all really sweaty when we were done), we all had a fantastic time.

No comments:

Post a Comment