Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's not just about the books and yarn

I've been feeling lately like this blog needs a bit of an overhaul.

When I began it in December 2010, I was writing mainly about my plan to finish 100 books in 2011.  Well, I've finished 61 books for the year, and it's only July.  I could fall off the wagon any time between now and December 31st, but chances are that I'm going to finish the 100 books, and chances are that when I do, I'm going to be re-reading a lot of them.  I'm a consummate re-reader of books, and I've read so many good ones this year that beg for another go-around (The Hunger Games, Into Thin Air, The Help, etc).  But what will I write about then, when I'm not writing book reviews?  And I'm certain my readers (all 13 of you) aren't going to want to read reviews of books I've already read and reviewed once before.

(And honestly, I don't think many of you read for the reviews.)

It's been only seven months into the year, and already I'm discovering a whole lot of other stuff about me.  For example: I realized that *gasp* I actually do  like reading YA lit.  I discovered fire-spinning, and realized I have a whole new hobby.  I've been on Weight Watchers for the past month and a half and I've actually lost some weight.  Not much, 10 lbs., but 10 lbs. is a start, right?  I've made new friends, I've explored a little more of my personality...and these are all things that I haven't written about at all in my blog.

(Also, the knitting?  Yeah, I didn't realize until I started heavily documenting everything I knit, how incredibly SLOWLY I knit.  It's kind of embarrassing.)

I'm not sure where to go from here.  I can't really find a "niche" to put this blog in.  I don't really want it to be just a "book blog".  It's not a weightloss blog.  And there are a ton of people who write "married blogs" just because.  I didn't want to look like I'm just going along with a trend, or that I felt that once we got married, I had to blog.  There's more to me than just the books and yarn (or really, just the books, since how long has it been since I did a knitted FO post?  Yeah, a long time).

I had a blog before this one, about living with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and I ran into the same problem.  I felt like I was more than that.  More than just a label.  Why should that define me?  And if just writing reviews of books isn't enough, why should that be all that I write about?
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've never thought I'm interesting enough to throw my life out on line for people to read, and find that entertaining, you know?  My life is pretty dullsville, as happy as I am with it.  I'm a secretary, my husband is an environmental tech who is finishing his EMT testing within the next few weeks, and we live with cats.  How interesting could that be?

I'm not looking for anyone's approval of what to write in my own blog.  I don't really know what I'm looking for in writing this.  I'd like to start documenting a little more of my life (not the seriously personal stuff, that doesn't go online), the parts that I would share with friends, the things that I would like to talk about on a daily basis.  And...well, go from there.  So it's not just about the reading, or the knitting.  So it's a little more about myself.

And you can decide for yourself if it merits reading. :)


1 comment: