Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Words On Fire

Well I changed my domain and my blog name.  I chose my original name Read ~ Knit ~ Blog in reference to the bestseller Eat, Pray, Love (ironically, before I'd even read it).  And then over the past seven months realized, as I mentioned in my past entry, that my blog has expanded, or has the potential to expand, into more than just books and knitting.  So I changed my title and domain, and...here we go.

My birthday is Sept. 12, but my husband decided to go out and buy my birthday present two months early.  And the package came today:


(I know, I know...I look like crap.  Ignore my terrible hair and sweaty face).

These are my first fire fans!  At the suggestion of our good friend Lyndsey, who first introduced me to fan spinning, David ordered them from Fire Mecca, purveyor of all sorts of fire dance/spinning-related goods.  Thus far, I have only used smaller, practice fans (with three wicks, rather than five).  It was a whole different experience to hold and handle these heavier, wider fans!  But I couldn't be more excited!  I can't wait for the first day I get to light them and try spinning them to music.  I was practicing my grips and transitions tonight, but I still have a long way to go.

If you want to see some really awesome fan spinning (WAY above my technique level), this is one of my favorite fan spinners.  Her name is Sasha (link goes to her website), and she's one of the best.  Unfortunately whoever shot this video took a lot of extreme close-ups, so you can't see her technique as well as you could if she was in wide-shot.  But you can still get the idea.  Her dancing and technique are beautiful.


I'm hoping to get in some practice this weekend.  I'm also hoping to obtain a better camera shortly so I can stop taking blog pictures with my cell phone.  Hopefully I'll have some better pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment