Thursday, January 13, 2011

Review of the Kindle case, and what I'm knitting now

The world is still buried in snow, but not to the point where I couldn't venture out to the mailbox at my parents' house and pick up Amazon's Kindle cover with light, which arrived yesterday during the snowstorm.

It's better than I even expected.  The case is made of sturdy leather (which has that fantastic "new car" scent to it), and the inside cover is very soft, almost felt-like, which keeps the Kindle screen from scratches and damage.  The elastic cord wraps around the case to hold the cover in place, whether you choose to close it, or hold it open behind the Kindle for easy reading. 

The light is somewhat difficult to pull out of the case the first couple of times.  But it is so worth it, and I am now so happy that I can read at night in bed without the overhead light on.  I haven't used it long enough to see if it really does drain the battery as quickly as a few of the one-star reviews on Amazon.com, but I have high hopes for it.  I can't wait to use it on trips -- I've had difficulty reading at night in the car because using the car light distracts David while he's driving. 

All in all, I think it was a great investment.  It was a little more expensive than I would have liked, but I think it was really worth it.


On Sunday, on a whim, after seeing it on SpillyJane Knits, I decided to cast on for Saroyan, a truly beautiful little scarf-shawlette made with worsted-weight yarn.  I chose to go down a size in yarn and needles, because I have two hanks of Socks That Rock Heavyweight in "Rose Quartz" that I really wanted to use. 

So far?

Well, I think it's coming along as well as can be expected!  (Sorry about the cat in the picture -- our kitty Tempest has a hard time steering clear of any knitting project, and also from the fleecy blanket that I have placed the knitting on.)

The leaf lace pattern on the edge of Saroyan pops beautifully in the STR yarn.  I'm really happy to use it for this project.  I love the color, it's soft and light and very pretty.  I'm not quite halfway done (this is a long scarf, and the middle stockinette portion can be downright dull, although it lends itself well to television knitting).  I'm looking forward to wearing this as a late winter/early spring scarf.  It's got just enough ruffles to be flirty and pretty, but not too many -- it doesn't look froufy.  I've had trouble knitting lace or lace edges in the past...let's knock on wood that those are over, at least for this project.


No comments:

Post a Comment