Saturday, January 22, 2011

That woman who makes the crazy baby hats

Warning: If you are a member of my husband's family who is expecting a baby this year, and has somehow stumbled upon this, you'd better clear out now.  Last warning!



For those of you still here -- I have a question for you all.

As I mentioned in this entry, three very special ladies in my husband's family (and now, of course, my family) are expecting babies this upcoming spring and summer.  Two of these babies are going to be boys; the sex of the third baby will remain unknown until s/he makes his her or her appearance.  Since they are going to be special babies indeed, and since one of the mother's has hinted that she'd like a handknit baby article, I've been searching online for cute and memorable baby patterns -- namely, hats.

One baby is already getting the pumpkin hat I finished earlier this month.  That set the bar.  I could always make rudimentary baby hats, you know, the traditional cast-on, knit-until-it-covers-Baby's-ears, decrease-and-bind-off sort of hats.  I've done it before, they've been well-received.  But I want to do something a little different.

Please, tell me if these ideas I've found are crazy.  I won't be hurt.  Please tell me know, before their mothers do (or don't, and try valiantly to look happy while inwardly wondering what they did to deserve a psychotic cousin-in-law who knits weird baby garments).

Option 1: Dinosaur Hat
This could easily be a girl's hat as well as a boy's, but the colors and the dino theme scream "boy" to me.  So this would probably go to a baby of definite boy characteristics.  I think it's cute and different without being too over-the-top.  Most children go through a dinosaur phase at one point or another in their lives (I did, for awhile, and so did my sister -- there was a time when she would drag our old Childcraft book on dinosaurs out, toss it into my lap, and demand that I read her the goriest stories in it every.  single.  day).  If I were to make it, though, I'd make it with a boy in mind -- and probably stick to the green and orange color scheme, although I might pick a rustier shade of orange, closer to red (but not so red that people would be reminded of Christmas).  What say you?  Too weird?

Hell, if you think that's weird, you'll think I'm completely off my rocker when I present you with my second (and favorite) baby hat idea.

Option 2: The Baby Sushi Roll Hat
I know.  I KNOW.  But how freakin' adorable is this?  It's a little roll of sushi!  This I think would be an excellent choice for the baby of unknown sex, since I plan on knitting and sending the hat far in advance of the birth.  Everyone likes sushi, right?  Well, except me and the husband -- neither of us are huge fans of the taste of seaweed (in my defense, I have to say that I have never taken a mouthful of sushi and spat it out onto my own plate immediately afterward -- classy, dear).

Is it weird to knit a child headgear in the shape of a raw fish delicacy originating in Japan?  Or is it, as I believe it to be, cute?  And if it is cute, and I'm not completely off my rocker here, is it unisex?  Can a girl wear this hat as well as a boy?  Are the colors okay for both?

...Am I a lunatic who is going to spend the rest of her life in this family branded as "that crazy knitting lady who knits weird hats for babies and shouldn't be allowed near infants anymore?"

Help me out here!  Click on the poll below and let me know your opinion!

What should a crazy knitting lady do?

3 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower (and fellow knitter). I just found your blog through TN Book Club. Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both hats are cute, and the sushi hat is easily unisex. It may not be immediately recognized as a sushi roll; the viewer would have to be familiar with sushi first. I thought the pattern was pretty, regardless, but it took me reading the description to find out it was sushi.

    ReplyDelete