Friday, March 11, 2011

Film Friday: Emma

First off, I apologize (to my 10 followers) that I didn't have a "Yarn Along" submission this Wednesday.  I figured you were all pretty much over my Noro socks and my Kindle.  And that's all there would have been.  You also all know that I've been reading Jane Austen's Emma.

This is the first Film Friday where I'll feature a film adaption of a book I have not yet finished.  I'm about a quarter of the way through with Emma, but since David left last night to go to PAX East in Boston, I found myself lonely and a bit at a loose end.  The film Emma was on Instant-Queue on Netflix, so I figured, why not.

Matchmaker, matchmaker: Paltrow and Collette gossip
The titular Emma is played by Gwyneth Paltrow, before Shakespeare In Love rocketed her to silver screen glory.  Emma is the daughter of a doting, overprotective father, and she is primarily concerned with her own self-proclaimed prowess as a formidable matchmaker, having recently taken credit for setting up her former governess and the man who has just taken her to wife.  Thoroughly pleased with herself, Emma sets her sights on finding a suitable match for her best friend, Harriet Smith (Toni Collette), whose dubious parentage leaves her with very few marital prospects.  Nevertheless, Emma feels she cannot fail to unite Harriet with the sort of man she feels worthy of introducing Harriet to genteel society.

Emma is a pampered girl, universally adored and petted by nearly everyone she meets, with the exception of her brother-in-law, Mr. Knightly (played by dashing and handsome Jeremy Northam of The Tudors fame).  Mr. Knightly dislikes Emma's penchant for meddling in the affairs of her friends and scolds her for her "lack of sense."  His criticism piques Emma, who is used to almost-universal praise, but she finds herself appreciating his honesty and sense, and as her good intentions begin to unravel around her, Emma finds herself wondering if there really is something to Mr. Knightly after all...

I loved Emma.  My review being premature, as I have not yet finished the book, I found it to be (thus far) a very good adaptation of the book.  The only major difference (besides Mr. Knightly's name; he is George in the book, and his brother, Emma's sister's husband, is named John) is the repartee between Emma and Mr. Knightly is much more candid in the film, I suppose to play up their relationship more.  I loved it as much as I loved Mansfield Park (the film) and I think, my Jane Austen love being as pure as it is, there will be a reading of Pride and Prejudice, and a viewing of the film version, in my future!

1 comment:

  1. Have you watched the BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice, starring Colin Firth (among others)? I have it on VHS, and you're welcome to borrow it. It helped me ace Sophomore English ;D

    ReplyDelete