Monday, March 28, 2011

Pictures of the redecoration!

Crazy, crazy weekend!  David and I spent the majority of it at our new place, laying siege to the kitchen, bathroom, and master bedroom, aided and abetted by my father, who shared his expertise on wallpaper removal and spackling with us.

Day One (Saturday) was spent in puncturing the wallpaper, pouring glue remover on it, and stripping the paper off piece by piece.  Unfortunately, we discovered that there was paint, another layer of wallpaper, and more paint underneath the original hideous pink and beige spotted wallpaper...so that was fun.  Renting a steamer would have been easier, but less cost-efficient.  We'll keep that in mind if we ever decide to buy a house that has wallpaper.


After removing the wallpaper, we scrubbed the walls with more glue remover to get rid of the last traces of glue.  That took up the majority of Saturday.

Day Two (Sunday), we came in after church to tackle the kitchen once again.  My father was a complete rock star and spackled the entire kitchen, going over the walls that I had scrubbed clean and patching holes and cracks with putty.  He did the whole room in three hours.


I made the rookie mistake of trying to sand the rough edges of the putty without wearing a mask, and made it about 15 minutes before my father noticed what I was doing and told me to stop.  Unfortunately, that was enough time to get the grit into my lungs, which I was definitely feeling last night.  I feel better today though.

After breaking for lunch at my parents' house, we came back to tackle some of the painting.  I went into the bathroom, which used to be the color of a radioactive lemon, and painted it with the Behr Premium Paint that we got at Home Depot.  The color is "Pure Snow", but it looks exactly like Marshmallow Fluff.



Meanwhile, David went into the master bedroom and painted the walls in there.  I don't have a picture of the finished first coat, but I do have some pictures of his work-in-progress.  The color is Sherwin-Williams "Peacock Plume".



I wish my good camera was working so I could show this color accurately.  It's a really pretty greeny-blue.  Unfortunately, all I have are cell phone pictures.


Might as well say "David Was Here".  This was on Saturday, he painted this wall and the others yesterday.  The first coat of the whole room is done, he needs to go over with a second coat in places today.

Suffice to say, there was little to no reading done this weekend, and no knitting whatsoever.  I don't know how much I'll be getting done in either department this week -- I'm going to the new apartment every day for redecorating purposes.  And we move in (the bed, the clothes, the pots and pans, the cats, the guinea pig, and the TV) on Friday.  Cable will be set up on Saturday.  And the big stuff gets moved next weekend!

I can't wait until we're in and it's all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment