Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday Book Survey

I stole this from my younger sister.  You can check out her blog (which isn't where I stole it from) at Movies.  Manga.  Anime.  Whatever.  

The books I am reading:
Emma by Jane Austen. 

The book I am writing:
*sigh*  I'm attempting to write some historical fiction.  I have two pieces going right now -- one about a family living in 17th century New England, and the other about Alys, Countess of the Vexin.  Neither is going very well, unfortunately.

The book I love most:
Eek.  How can you ever pick?  I have quite the list.  I love Francis Hodgeson Burnett's books, The Secret Garden (which I'm re-reading right now) and A Little Princess (do not even start to make fun of me for this, I love them and they bring me back to my childhood, and I'm okay with that). For fiction, I also really like The Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird.  My favorite historical nonfiction author is Alison Weir, and my favorite book by her is definitely The Six Wives of Henry VIII.  But my all-time favorite book that I have read probably at least 50 times is Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels.  So underrated, such fantastic historical fiction, and it won the Pulitzer.  Fantastic book.

The last book I received as a gift:
I can't find the title of this one.  My father bought it for me and it's home on my bookshelf.  It's a newly-released, enormously thick account of the Civil War that got a great review in The Economist, but damned if I can find out the title.  However, the last book I received before that was Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman.

The last book I gave as a gift:
I gave a Debbie Macomber book to my mom for Christmas.  She laps those things up.

The nearest book on my desk:
I don't have any on my desk at work.  But my Kindle is in my purse -- does that count?

No comments:

Post a Comment