Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Wrap-Up Survey

This meme or survey cycles most of the blogosphere every year, and I'm doing it here on Read.Knit.Spin.Blog.  I'm not going to be quite so candid with my answers as I would be in private, because this is a public blog, but I'm going to be pretty honest.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you had never done before?
So many little things.  I filed my taxes jointly as a married couple.  I celebrated Easter with my in-laws for the first time (every other year, David's been working or we've just been with my parents).  In May, I learned how to fire-spin.  In August, I attended my first Wildfire retreat.  In November, we celebrated our first year of marriage.

2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't really "do" resolutions, per se.  Most of the things I resolve to do are things I've already been working on.  The only resolution I'm making for this year is the following: love everyone, and be kind.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Three of David's cousin's wives gave birth in April, May, and June.  My friend Heather gave birth (in Germany, where her husband is stationed), and my friend Kim had her baby Lily in August.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.  *fingers crossed for the last 24 hours*  And I'm hoping it stays that way.

5. What countries did you visit?None.  In all of 2011 I only went to Massachusetts, New York, and Rhode Island.  But we're going to Mexico the second week of January!

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Greater security.  A husband who is happy in his career.  David didn't start working as an EMT until after Thanksgiving, so for the majority of the year he was pretty unhappy where he was working.  Hopefully we're going to get pregnant in 2012.  We've talked about it but I don't know when we're going to start TTC.

7. What dates in 2011 will remain etched in your memory?
Happy days?  August 19 - 22 was Wildfire, and that was wonderful.  September 12 was my birthday.  September 19 David found out that he had passed his EMT exams.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Re-applying and being re-accepted into graduate school.  I start on January 18th.

9. What was your biggest failure?
There are things I wish I had said, but didn't, and times I wish I had held my tongue, and spoke.  I wish I could take those back, but I can't.  Any minute that I made anyone upset, or angry, or anxious, or was anything less than kind, I regret.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Besides a fall from my bicycle the first week of April (resulting in a minor concussion, some bruised ribs and some major roadburn on my legs), I was very healthy this year.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A queen-size bed.  Heaven.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Bills.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Wildfire.  David's job.  Getting back into school.  Moving from our teeny apartment into our much bigger and better one.

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
"Choices" by the Hoosiers, and "Shattered" by Trading Yesterday

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder?
Wiser.
Thinner or fatter? Thinner, but not by much
Richer or poorer? Poorer, but making more money, if that makes sense

16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Just enjoying life and my husband and what we have.

17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Emotional eating.  Worrying about the future.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
David worked, so I spent it with my parents and extended family.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Dave and I discovered Once Upon a Time.  I still love The Tudors and Law and Order: SVU

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Pillars of the Earth was my favorite.  Also The Hunger Games series.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Trading Yesterday, The Hoosiers, Florence and the Machine

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
New films that came out this year?  Probably Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.  I was pleasantly surprised by it.  Dave and I don't go to the movies that often, so I can't remember many others that I saw.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?I turned 28.  I worked from 8 AM - 3 PM, then David took me apple-picking and to dinner at Thai Gardens in Middletown.  Then we went home and watched "The Young Victoria."  It was a very nice birthday.
24. What one thing would have made your year more satisfactory?
Less worrying.  On everyone's part.  More kindness.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
What fashion concept?  I can't dress myself.  I wear jeans, shirts, and sneakers.  I'm not fashionable.
26. What kept you sane?
Reading.  Knitting.  Good friends.
27. What's a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011?
Sometimes you can't look to tomorrow.  Sometimes you have to live in the moment, and trust that tomorrow is going to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment