Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Setting the bar

I learned how to knit in 2004.  Well, "learned to knit" as in learned how to execute the knit stitch and not much else.  I learned to purl, decrease, increase, knit socks, etc. in 2009 -- five years later.  I knitted my first lace in 2011.  I think it is time to start setting the bar a little higher for myself.  It seems like, when I stop being afraid to make mistakes (and pull my head out of my ass), I actually manage to accomplish things!  Well whaddya know?  *facepalm*

So I'm setting the bar.  These are the knitting goals I have for the upcoming 2012 year.

1. Learn the fair isle technique.
I have no intention of jumping in and doing a whole fair isle sweater (steeking will probably not happen this year).  But fair isle has been calling my name for the past two years!  And I want so badly to learn this technique!  My friend Drea gave me the book Mastering Color Knitting for Christmas, and the pictures are luscious. This will be the year!

The project?  I've had the Selbu Modern by Kate Gagnon Osborn in my Ravelry favorites for the past year.  Look how pretty it is!


Whether Selbu or something else...my first fair isle project will be a hat.

2. Patterned socks
Although I've knitted about 10 pairs of socks, all but one pair have been just regular stockinette socks.  The only pattern I've done to date is the Sunday Swing pattern from Knitty.  Fun pattern, but I'm ready to branch out a little more and try some new things.

I bought a beautiful skein of Noro Kureyon Sock Yarn, which promises to make a wild and beautiful pair of socks!  And for my first trick, I'm attempting Grumperina's Jaywalker pattern.  I've been eying this pattern for a long time.  It doesn't look like much yet (I'm trying to focus on finishing David's scarf, before moving on to projects that are, sadly, more fun for me), but I'm hoping they shape up into pretty Jaywalkers!





What other patterns?  I'd like to do at least three.  I've thus far had poor luck in attempting the Spring Forward socks, but maybe third time is the charm?  And my history-major soul is loving the Aquitaine Sock, named for Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, one of my favorite characters in history!

(Botched attempt to line these pictures up side-by-side...curse you, Blogger interface.)

3. A lace shawl.
I look at beautiful pictures of lace shawls online and I ache to do a beautiful one!  Right or wrong, I will feel like a more complete knitter when I have a lace shawl under my belt.  To date, my only completed lace project is Saroyan, which remains sadly unblocked (I have yet to block her and give her a full FO post!).  The project was so much fun, and left me itching for more lace.  Also, since Saroyan is more of a scarf, I don't consider it a lace shawl.  Better luck next time!

Wendy Johnson's Lady Bertram Shawlette is in my arsenal, has been since April when I bought it at the CT Sheep and Wool Festival, as part of a kit.  The yarn I bought with it is Super Sock 416  in black cherry -- so juicy!  I cast on this project in May, got daunted, and left it alone for the past few months.  It will get a revival this winter!


 I recently acquired (as a very late Christmas present from last year), two skeins of beautiful deep green yarn that I plan to use to make a lace shawl as well.  The shawl I dream of knitting is Damask -- look how beautiful it is! -- but I sadly fear that this is out of my league for now.  Damask includes the ever-popular nupps of Estonian knitting, and I don't think I'm quite up to the task of the p5tog.  The Calais shawl is a frontrunner -- and I think it will be far easier than Damask.  Plus it has the added benefit of being free.


From paperbirch on Flickr





Those are my three goals for the upcoming year.  I reserve the right to add projects to this list as I go...but I'm hoping to not delete any.






No comments:

Post a Comment