Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Going back to college!

Gather round, kiddos, it's story time!  (Sort of)

I was in a major car accident in August of 2005 (believe it or not, this is relevant).  I broke my pelvis in three places, fractured some ribs, and busted up the right side of my face pretty badly.  Six months later, after recovery and plastic surgery, I started graduate school.

Well, chickies, it wasn't a good time for me to be starting anything, other than putting my life in order.  Unbeknownst to me at the time, I was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.  I was having trouble concentrating, I stayed up for days on end with insomnia, I had five or six anxiety attacks a day, and some days, I had trouble leaving my own apartment due to fear.  Finally, in 2008, I started taking medication and seeing a therapist.  By that time, unfortunately, my grades were sliding fast and I was in rough shape.  After Spring semester 2009, I took a medical withdrawal from college until I could fix my life.

A lot has happened in the two and a half years since then.  I got engaged, got married, increased my job to a full-time position, moved into a better apartment, switched medications about six times until I found one that worked, got a new therapist who is just plain awesome in so many ways, and got myself back on track.  In May of this year, I applied for re-admission to the M.A. program at my university.  Due to misunderstandings, missing records, and a ton of other crap, this took six months to sort out.

BUT.  There's a happy ending (I think), because as of yesterday, I am once again a student of the M.A. program.  I'll start coursework in January of 2012 as a part-time student (because I'm working full-time, and the last time I tried to juggle both full time work and full time school I mucked it up pretty badly), and we'll see how it goes.

I'm scared to death, but I'm excited too.  I never planned to drop out of college and never go back.  I'm finally going to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment