Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Yarn Along! November 30, 2011 edition

I hope that you all had very happy Thanksgivings (at least all of you Americans -- if you live in Canada, I hope your October Thanksgiving was equally as merry), and that you're all avoiding the holiday stress!  David and I are banging out our shopping, a little each night (I love Amazon.com and Shutterfly, just have to say).  And the Christmas knitting, of course, continues...I really need to get a better grip on it.  Each day I look at the stash and think "I could totally pull that off in the remaining few days..."

My friend Jess holds an annual Yule party (since we are all of different religions, and not all of our friends necessarily celebrate the traditional "Christmas"), and this year, it's on December 10th, which means that I have much less time than usual for knitting.  I'm working on each gift a little at a time, to avoid burnout.  Although I can hardly feel burned out when I'm working with such gorgeous yarns as these!


On the left is the first of a pair of fingerless mitts (my own "pattern", if you can call it that -- I work it over 40 stitches, 1x1 ribbing for the wrists and then simple stockinette, with an afterthought thumb and probably 1x1 ribbing for the top -- thrilling, I know).  The yarn is gorgeous Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend in "dove" -- I used it for a hat earlier this year, if it looks familiar.  The needles (for those who care) are US 4 dpns.

On the right is my favorite yarn probably of all time -- Trabajos del Peru in "9" (thrilling name).  I'm making it into a winter hat for a very dear male friend of mine and David's who helped me through a tough spot this past year and deserves a soft winter hat.  I hope he likes it (and that he isn't peeking at this page).  Again, simple pattern -- US 8 circular, 2x2 rib, stockinette to the decreases.  

This will be part of Ginny's Yarn Along, and it wouldn't be without reference to the book I'm reading (sadly, not included in the picture).  I'm in the middle of Janet Fitch's White Oleander (reread) and enjoying it as much now as I did the first time I read it.

Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment