Monday, November 14, 2011

Review: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I am quite behind on my reviews lately, but that's okay because I'm honestly losing interest.  Not in reading, but in reviewing the books I finish.  After the end of the year (and with it -- hopefully -- the end of the 100 books), I'll probably be stopping, unless the book is something of extreme interest.  And that's something else -- most of the books I'm reading now are short, snappy ones that almost everyone I know has read.  What else is there honestly to say about To Kill a Mockingbird, book # 84 for the year?

Jean Louise "Scout" Finch's whole world revolves around the little town of Maycomb, Alabama, and its dry-as-dust inhabitants: Miss Maudie Atkinson, the colorful gardener who is her main inspiration for becoming a lady; Arthur "Boo" Radley, a mysterious hermit whose malevolent presence has terrified Scout and her brother Jem since birth; and her beloved father, lawyer Atticus Finch, who is about the blow the town apart by agreeing to defend a Negro man accused of raping a teenage white girl.  As consequences pile up around them, and the little town is turned upside-down, Scout's eyes are opened, not only to the people around her, but to the state of the nation as a whole.

This is a book that almost every high school student in America reads at one point or another.  I myself read it as Summer Required Reading when I was going into my junior year of high school.  It is one of my favorite books, and I'm pretty sure I've memorized parts of it.  Is there anyone who has read this that doesn't love Atticus Finch?  The book is written from the POV of Scout, but this is Atticus' story, more than anyone else's, as he is the major protagonist (and causes much of the action).  A great story, and a must-read.

Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment